chessforyou Bettina&Terry77
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
WELCOME TO FORUM OF Angels77 * named in memory of Bettina & Terry
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

New Houdini 1.5

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
theropodes
V.I.P.MEMBER
V.I.P.MEMBER
theropodes

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Houdini 1.5 is out Wink
Houdini

Good download Wink
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

Male Posts : 819

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Thank you theropodes brvo

some additional information...

The package contains Houdini_15_w32.exe for 32-bit Windows (up to 4 cores) and Houdini_15_x64.exe for 64-bit Windows (up to 8 cores).

Each executable contains code for optimal execution from single-core up to the maximum number of cores. On a 64-bit platform the 64-bit version is about 30% faster than the 32-bit version. If your hardware supports SSE4.2 the program will use the POPCNT instruction for another slight performance gain.
mirror link
http://hotfile.com/dl/89682474/092b340/Houdini_15.zip.html

What's new in Houdini 1.5

Improved Evaluation and Search
Positional evaluation and search algorithm have been improved to make this by far the strongest Houdini ever.
Single executable
Previous releases had different executables depending on the number of cores or the availability of SSE4.2 extensions. In Houdini 1.5 all the code has been integrated into a single executable for each platform (32/64-bit).
Gaviota End Game Table Base support
Houdini 1.5 integrates Gaviota end game table base support, see below for more details.
Configurable Contempt
The notion of "contempt" implies that Houdini will try to avoid draws during game play. The Contempt level can be chosen between 0 (none) and 2 (aggressive), the default value of 1 should be a good compromise in most situations.

The Analysis_Contempt option will activate the Contempt for position analysis, this is usually not recommended.
Large Page Support
There is no longer a separate UCI option for large memory pages. If large memory pages are available they will be used, see below for how to configure Windows to enable this feature.
Clear Hash button
A new Clear Hash button is available in the UCI interface.

Gaviota End Game Table Base (EGTB) support
Houdini integrates the Gaviota EGTB probing code ©️ Miguel A. Ballicora. All information about Gaviota EGTB files can be found at the Gaviota web site.

Even without EGTB Houdini is a great performer in the end game because of its extensive built-in knowledge of basic endings (e.g. KQ v KP and KB v KBP). Knowing that the EGTB access is very slow compared to a native evaluation of the position, a generic use of EGTB might actually decrease the playing strength. To cope with this situation Houdini will vary the frequency at which the EGTB are probed depending on the end game that is occurring. In difficult endings in which the table bases are very useful (e.g. KQP v KQ or KRP v KR) Houdini will probe the EGTB files much earlier than in endings that are easy to evaluate.

The location of the Gaviota EGTB files is specified in the GaviotaTbPath option. Houdini will scan the folder for "kqkr.gtb.cpX" files and accordingly decide which compression level to use.

The depth of the earliest probe of an EGTB can be configured with the Hard_Probe_Depth and Soft_Probe_Depth options. In a multi-core environment you may want to increase these values to reduce the likelihood of several cores probing the EGTB simultaneously.

Houdini will always probe the EGTB for the initial position of the search. If an EGTB mate position is identified, the full main line will be shown immediately. If the initial position is an EGTB draw but Houdini has a material advantage, Houdini will still play for a win - the opponent might be human or an engine without end game table bases.
UCI Options
The following UCI options are available:

* Hash: Amount of hash table memory used by the program in MB. Default 128, min 4, max 1024/16384 (32/64-bit).
* Threads: Maximum number of cores used by the analysis. Default is hardware-dependent, min 1, max 4/8 (32/64 bit).
* Split_Depth: Minimum depth at which work will be split between cores, see below. Default 10, min 8, max 99.
* Ponder: [game play only] Have the engine think during its opponent's time. True (1) or false (0).
* Contempt: Level of contempt to avoid draws in game play. Default 1, min 0 (none), max 2 (aggressive).
* Analysis_Contempt: [position analysis only] Activate Contempt in position analysis. True (1) or false (0).
* MultiPV: [position analysis only] Number of principal variations shown. Default 1, min 1, max 16.
* GaviotaTbPath: Folder containing Gaviota EGTB files
* GaviotaTbCache: Amount of Gaviota EGTB cache memory in MB. Default 64, min 4, max 1024.
* Hard_Probe_Depth: Minimum depth at which a hard EGTB probe is performed. Default 24, min 2, max 99.
* Soft_Probe_Depth: Minimum depth at which a soft EGTB probe is performed. Default 16, min 2, max 99.

Tuning the Split_Depth parameter on multi-core hardware
The Split_Depth parameter defines the minimum depth at which work will be split between cores. This parameter can impact the speed of the engine (nodes per second) and should be fine-tuned to get the best performance out of your hardware.

The default value 10 is tuned for quad Core i5/i7 systems, but on other systems it may be advantageous to increase this to 12 or 13. To select the best Split_Depth for your system you should analyze some positions for a fixed duration (e.g. 30 seconds) and measure the average nodes/second. Do this for all values of Split_Depth between 10 and 14, and keep the value that produces the highest average node speed.
Large Memory Pages
Houdini will use so-called large memory pages if they are provided by the operating system. Depending on the hash table size the speed improvement may be between 5% and 20%.

To enable this feature in Windows, you need to modify the Group Policy for your account:

1. Run: gpedit.msc (or search for "Group Policy")
2. Under "Computer Configuration", "Windows Settings", "Security Settings", "Local Policies" click on "User Rights Assignment"
3. In the right pane double-click the option "Lock Pages in Memory"
4. Click on "Add User or Group" and add your account or "Everyone"
5. You may have to logoff or reboot for the change to take effect

You'll also need to run your chess GUI with administrative rights ("Run as Administrator") or disable UAC in Windows.

Very often large pages will only be available shortly after booting Windows. After a while the Windows memory becomes too fragmented for large page allocation, and Houdini will fall back to standard memory page usage

Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zagor Almanah

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Many thanks to Robert Houdart for making this amazing engine.
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Zagor Almanah wrote:
Many thanks to Robert Houdart for making this amazing engine.

pity he doesnt honor his word and shae his work with the Decemberist seeing as he promised to share codes and has used all theres to achieve his sucsess

Last edited by me4u on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theropodes
V.I.P.MEMBER
V.I.P.MEMBER
theropodes

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Many thanks for people for this new link because houdini web site is very very slow : too enthousiast people Wink

at same time it is true i was very short with this news : next time Wink
Back to top Go down
Aiorla
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Aiorla

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Great, tomorrow I will a big torunament with the newest engine of every compiler :)
Back to top Go down
Zagor Almanah
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zagor Almanah

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm

it is pity yes, but I think the capitalist will benefit more if he shares his code with Decembrist. In case they find something in his code the Decembrist will probably share and post their source to the public. I have no problem with Houdini beeing a closed source, as long as capitalist don't benefit from it.
If R. Houdart can improve his source by himself is fine with me, as long as he makes regular updates yeahh
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Zagor Almanah wrote:
it is pity yes, but I think the capitalist will benefit more if he shares his code with Decembrist. In case they find something in his code the Decembrist will probably share and post their source to the public. I have no problem with Houdini beeing a closed source, as long as capitalist don't benefit from it.
If R. Houdart can improve his source by himself is fine with me, as long as he makes regular updates yeahh

well its not fine wqith us or in kepping with the commrades cause
will you be so pleased when as we suspect it will it becomes a comercial engine ?

contributer
contributer
Johnny Pokémon

Male Posts : 12

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 am

theropodes wrote:
Houdini 1.5 is out Wink
Houdini

Good download Wink

Downloaded in 7 seconds!! shkh Thanks, very much.

rdg Let the games begin.
Back to top Go down
http://proggersanonymous.phpbbhosts.co.uk/index.php
Zagor Almanah
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zagor Almanah

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 am

I don't think Houdini will ever become a commercial engine, because R. Houdart clearly stated it is based on Ippolit source.
It says right there on his website. He gives credits to the comrades, and some other people who helped develop his engine through their source.

Acknowledgements
Without many ideas from the excellent open source chess engines Ippolit/Robbolito, Stockfish and Crafty, Houdini would not nearly be as strong as it is now.

The Gaviota EGTB probing code used in Houdini is © Miguel A. Ballicora.

However, even if he tries to make Houdini commercial engine, the capitalist are going to prevent that, so it would unlikely happen.
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 am

Zagor Almanah wrote:
I don't think Houdini will ever become a commercial engine, because R. Houdart clearly stated it is based on Ippolit source.
It says right there on his website. He gives credits to the comrades, and some other people who helped develop his engine through their source.

Acknowledgements
Without many ideas from the excellent open source chess engines Ippolit/Robbolito, Stockfish and Crafty, Houdini would not nearly be as strong as it is now.

The Gaviota EGTB probing code used in Houdini is © Miguel A. Ballicora.

However, even if he tries to make Houdini commercial engine, the capitalist are going to prevent that, so it would unlikely happen.

get facts correct Houdart promised to post his source code as soon ( his words ) as ive cleaned it up " that was the week he first released its first engine
he acknowledges he used SOME open source codes including ippolit,,he adds he used his own ideas as well
he has sought and partially sucseeded to have his compiles / engines officialy recognised as legal ones
the capatalists cant prevent ANYONE from releasing a comercial engine without litigation and darent go down that road unless they admit rybka plaugerised fruit

please do not just paraphrase what he post as hes allredy lied on forums re his promise to release the source code
in my opinion hes about as honest and trustworthy as kranium

Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Aiorla

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Large Pages are disabled in this compile, reported by Milan123 and confirmed by the R.Houdart Sad

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threads&p=381571&t=37091

Aitor
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Aiorla (Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:45 pm) wrote:
Large Pages are disabled in this compile, reported by Milan123 and confirmed by the R.Houdart Sad

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threads&p=381571&t=37091

Aitor

notice on images a v48 ivanhoe engine

Shocked

New Houdini 1.5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Houdini 1.5   New Houdini 1.5 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Houdini 1.5
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
chessforyou Bettina&Terry77 :: ENGlNES :: ALL ENGlNES :: ENGlNES & CODES-