chessforyou Bettina&Terry77
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
WELCOME TO FORUM OF Angels77 * named in memory of Bettina & Terry
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Houdini Chess Engine

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doppelganger
Dark Angels
Doppelganger

Male Posts : 562
Location : We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. Cynthia Ozick

Houdini Chess Engine Empty
PostSubject: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Houdini Chess Engine

Cruxis Home > Houdini Chess Engine

Welcome to the Houdini Chess Engine home page. Houdini is a state-of-the-art chess engine for Windows that competes with the best commercial and free software.

The name "Houdini" was chosen because of the engine's tenacity in difficult positions and its ability to defend stubbornly and escape with a draw – sometimes by the narrowest of margins. At the same time Houdini will deny its opponents the same escape routes when it has the better position.
How to use it
The program has no graphical interface but can be used with any UCI-compatible chess graphical user interface (GUI) like the free Arena chess interface or the commercial Chessbase, Shredder or Aquarium chess interfaces.

If you haven't already, first download the chess GUI of your choice.
Then download the Houdini version that suits your environment (32 or 64-bit, 1, 2 or up to 8 cores), copy it to a local directory on your computer, and install it in the chess GUI.
Downloads
Houdini is currently available for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit, for 1 CPU, 2 CPU and up to 8 CPU. Each executable is optimized for the specific number of CPUs, it's recommended that you use the version that matches your hardware. For example, on a single core computer the 1 CPU version will run slightly faster than the 2 CPU version. Use the 8 CPU version if you have a computer with more than two cores.

Strength
Houdini appears to be notably stronger (+75 Elo) than Stockfish 1.7 and Rybka 3, and slightly stronger (+20 Elo) than the Firebird / Ivanhoe / Robbolito gang.
Your mileage may vary, obviously.

Each executable is optimized for the specific number of CPUs, it's recommended that you use the version that matches your hardware. For example, on a single core computer the 1 CPU version will run slightly faster than the 2 CPU version. Use the 8 CPU version if you have a computer with more than two cores.

I don't have regular access to computers with 4 or 8 cores, so haven't been able to test the 8 CPU version as extensively as the 1 and 2 CPU versions. It would be nice if someone with 4 or 8 cores could use it a while to see whether the SMP algorithm works equally well with a high number of cores.

32 bit version
Can be used on any not too ancient Windows version.

* Single core: Houdini_w32_1CPU (129 kB) http://www.multiupload.com/4MVNQKYGRJ
* Dual core: Houdini_w32_2CPU (156 kB) http://www.multiupload.com/0P6GF8028K
* Up to 8 cores: (currently not available)

64 bit version
Recommended for 64-bit Windows, the speed increase is about 30% compared to the 32-bit version.

* Single core: Houdini_x64_1CPU (120 kB) http://www.multiupload.com/A9JW3L94UZ
* Dual core: Houdini_x64_2CPU (147 kB) http://www.multiupload.com/XOPPVWHW8W
* Up to 8 cores: (currently not available)

Version history

* Version 1.0 (20100515): First public release

Options
Currently the following UCI options are available:

* Hash: amount of memory used by the program in MB. Default 128, min 4, max 16384.
* Threads: maximum number of cores used by the analysis. Default is version-dependent, min 1, max 8.
* Split_Depth: minimum depth at which work will be split between cores. Default 11, min 8, max 99.
* Ponder: have the engine think during its opponent's time. True (1) or false (0).

Houdini does not (yet) use Endgame Table Bases, but has built-in knowledge of a number of basic endgames including KQ v KP, KB v KBP which makes it a great performer in the endgame as well.

©️ 2010 Cruxis, Robert Houdart Cruxis Home

##################################################

NOTE ** newsflash

Some have problems creating engines in Fritz

advice (not mine ) is as follows Rolling Eyes

Try in Fritz 11 and go to the Houdini x64 2_CPU.uci file and put any name Author =
or
make this File Manually
Quote:
[ENGINE]
Name=Houdini x64 2_CPU
Author=any name
Filename=C:\ { put here the engine }
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

Male Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:32 pm

newsflash

Anyone getting this engine created and working please post "HOW" here angelprays

V.I.P.MEMBER
V.I.P.MEMBER
wajit@cfl.rr.com

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Works perfectly fine for me. Was able to add the engine to the engine manager and it create the uci link. I am willing to bet this engine uses Robbolito/ivanhoe codes or idea. Has simular search speeds just over 5k for 2 threads. Slightly faster then typical ivanhoe's using only 2 threads around 4.5k. Has simular search depth of a single/dual thread ivanhoe. Game play?? Not sure how good it is yet.
Back to top Go down
me4u
Admin
Admin
me4u

Male Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptySun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Sandi
Int.Master, FIDE Elo 2352

Default Re:IvanHoe against "Houdini"
Hello,
With add "Split" on the engine Houdini and name of the author I could play with the thing
even on 8 threads against two very strong IvanHoe compiles.
Maybe this "Houdini" is a Igorrit or Ivan clone,no wonder when all sources are open to anyone.
The first match was on Intel QX 9775 (8x4090 MHz) Blitz 3'0 :
IvanHoe-B 63modB10gm - Houdini x64 8_CPU Split 12 :
+7. -3. =10. 60% - 40%. 12/20 - 8/20.

The second match is in progress: IvanHoe-T63Mini -Houdini x64 8_CPU Split.

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptySun May 16, 2010 7:21 pm

i hv downloaded in fltiz12 no problems in engine for 32 bit ....

m running a small tournament post the result as soon as it complete
Back to top Go down
victor jesús
contributer +
contributer +
victor jesús

Male Posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine EmptyMon May 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Muy bueno el motor,gracias al compilador y por el post Doppelganger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Houdini Chess Engine   Houdini Chess Engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Houdini Chess Engine
Page 1 of 1